I went ahead and bought an iPod Touch (Apple's opinion) for debugging my little aprs web project. The Touch is basically an iPhone (Apple propaganda) - without the phone and the camera. It's much cheaper, but it has the same operating system, web browser, and can run the same applications, so it's fine for the purpose. I got the new second generation 16GB model (with external volume controls, speaker, etc), around 300 EUR ($400 USD). It's very pretty, and the user interface is very cool indeed.
I did a little debugging yesterday evening and tonight, and fixed a few rough corners which broke things for iPhone users. The fixes should help other mobile browsers, too. All of the pages should now render properly on the iPhone & Touch. The real-time map now loads new items nicely, and handles panning of the map. The map controls (zoom, satellite/terrain/map buttons) do not work, but that's a bug in Google's code, and they know about it already.
The changes I did in the real-time map code had an interesting side effect which benefits all users. When you pan the map on a normal web browser, targets coming in the view load a bit quicker, and the overall experience is slightly smoother than before. What a nice surprise.
The bad news is that it seems quite hard to make the real-time map work on the S60 browser, at least on my E61i (the static map works fine, of course). It simply blows up, probably runs out of memory. Maybe it could work on Nokia's new Linux-based products. Too bad I don't have one to debug with.
I'll get back to this some another day. A lot of stuff needs to be done (a nicer front page with address search, etc).