Monday, January 7, 2008

Français and language subdomains

The French translation is now nearly complete, thanks to F4EIR, HB9HFD and HB3YKO. Thanks!

Last night I added per-language subdomains, so that the translations can be easily sampled and indexed by web spiders like Google. So, to try out APRS maps in any of the 9 different languages, you can simply add the two-letter ISO 639-1 country code to the URL:
To permanently change the language in aprs.fi, you need to change the preferred language settings in your web browser (Firefox 2.0: Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> General -> Languages -> Choose, Firefox 1.5: Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> General -> Languages -> Choose, IE: Tools -> Internet Options -> General -> Languages). Move your preferred language first in the priority list. This will also affect other well-behaving web sites like Google.

The translations have been made by volunteers.

5 comments:

Oba JA7UDE said...

Cool!

73
Oba
JA7UDe

SCV said...

Upper navigation bar links are pointing to non-regionalized aprs.fi. This is not the case on main (map) page.

oh7lzb said...

That's actually intentional. I don't wish web crawlers to crawl the whole site (a couple hundred thousand pages) 9 times, once for each language. Accept-Language is still the method to permanently change the language.

Anonymous said...

I suspect this is unrealistic for now. But it would be very useful to see all contexts a string is used in. E.g. a list of links to pages where the string is used.

And would it be possible to make a sandbox where we could play with different translations, and with instant update?

LA4RT Jon

oh7lzb said...

Jon,

I'll try to (manually) add more descriptions to the strings and string categories. It'd require very much new code to produce the links to all occurrences of strings automatically, so it's unlikely it'll happen. The strings can be used in a lot of places and they can refer to each other, so it'd be pretty complex. And the strings or the code referring to the strings don't currently know the real URLs presented to the user.

A sandbox would be doable, but again, a lot of work. I did think of it when developing the translating tool, and the existing code allows for the implementation of a sandbox. Everything is possible in software, but some things take a lot of time. :) I'll put it on the to-do list anyway.